Welcome to SCORA!
Asst National Officer
Standing Committee on Sexual and Reproductive Health including HIV/AIDS is gathering passionate individuals who are committed to promote sexual and reproductive health and rights and are passionate about creating positive change in their local communities.
The medical students of the IFMSA formed the Standing Committee on Sexual and Reproductive Health including HIV/AIDS (SCORA) in 1992, driven by a strong will to take an active part in interventions concerning HIV and sexually transmitted infections (STIs), and to support people living with HIV/AIDS through working to decrease stigma and discrimination. Through SCORA medical students across the globe work to increase awareness concerning reproductive health and other related issues. In 2014, the name of SCORA has changed to Standing Committee on Sexual and Reproductive Health including HIV/AIDS as it is more adequate in terms of topics and problems that SCORA is targeting in its actions.
A world where every individual is empowered to exercise their sexual and reproductive health rights equally, free from stigma and discrimination.
To provide our members with the tools necessary to advocate for sexual and reproductive health and rights within their respective communities in a culturally respected fashion. This has been accomplished through building the skills and the knowledge about, providing trainings on Comprehensive Sexuality Education other respective reproductive health issues, exchanging ideas and projects, as well as drafting policies and working with our external partners in order to create change in local, regional and international level.
- To raise awareness on topics related to HIV/AIDS, and sexual and reproductive health.
- To decrease the stigma and discrimination against people living with HIV/AIDS.
- To raise awareness and increase knowledge about facts, scientific research, global agreements and documents concerning sexual and reproductive health.
- Promote positive sexuality and healthy sexual life.
- Advocating for policies concerning sexual and reproductive health and represent medical student worldwide
- Collaborate and facilitate joint actions concerning medical education, public health and human rights.
- Provide tools for capacity building for future healthcare professionals in terms of sexual and reproductive health and rights
SCORA Focus Areas
1. Comprehensive Sexuality Education: SCORA is highly committed to raise awareness about sexual and reproductive health through education. We have great experience in training new peer educators through International Peer Education Trainings and Advanced Peer Education Trainings. A great network of peer educators are working together organizing regional Sexual Education conferences.
2. Maternal Health and access to safe abortion: Our aim is to raise awareness among our members about maternal and newborn health issues including family planning, access to antenatal care and ending stigma and discrimination towards abortion collaborating with our external partners ? Medical Students for Choice and Ipas to train medical students as advocates for access to safe abortion.
3. Sexuality and gender identity: IFMSA is promoting positive sexuality and is one of the first youth organizations officially committed, by accepting Policy Statement to end stigma and discrimination in access to healthcare of LGBT+ individuals.
4. Gender Based Violence: SCORAngels are committed to fight against violence including Female Genital Mutilation (FGM), sexual harassment and domestic violence. We are cooperating with the Standing Committee on Human Rights and Peace (SCORP) on actions to end human trafficking conducting sessions during our regional and international meetings. Campaigns are centralized on March 8th ? International Womens Day.
5. HIV and other STIs: IFMSA is the part of The PACT which is a coalition of youth organizations to end AIDS epidemic in the Post-2015 Agenda. We are collaborating with Y+, ?The Global Network of Young People Living with HIV/AIDS to conduct together campaigns for the most important SCORA International Days ? World AIDS Day on December 1st and International AIDS Candlelight Memorial day (third Sunday of May).